Paying attention to the details can make all the difference when dressing sharp. One often overlooked detail is the collar of a dress shirt. Men’s shirts have several types of collars, each with a unique style and purpose.
This article will explore the different types of collars for men’s shirts and provide some styling tips to help you look your best. But first, let’s have a look at a brief history of collar types and their significance:
The men’s shirt collar has a rich history and cultural significance that spans centuries. Here are some interesting points to consider:
- Evolution of the collar: The collar shirts have evolved from the detachable collars worn in the 1800s to the attached collars we wear today. In the early 1900s, the detachable collar was a status symbol as it allowed for easy cleaning and was a symbol of wealth.
- Collars as a status symbol: In the 1920s, the wider collars of the era symbolised the wearer’s status, with more affluent individuals able to afford the larger collars. This trend continued into the 1930s and 1940s when the collars became even wider and more elaborate.
- Collars and military uniforms: Military uniforms have significantly impacted the evolution of collar shirts. The point collar was a popular style in the military, allowing for easy adjustment to fit various neck sizes.
- The cultural significance of collar styles: Certain styles have cultural significance in different parts of the world.
- Collars in popular culture: Collar shirts have played a significant role in popular culture. The iconic white collar shirt was a staple of the 1950s business attire. In comparison, button and dress shirt collars became popular in the 1960s thanks to Ivy League fashion.
- The collars of musicians, actors, and other celebrities have also influenced fashion trends.
Classic Collar Shirts
The classic shirt collars are a timeless staple in any wardrobe. This collar style is versatile and can be dressed up or down.
Pair it with a blazer for a formal look, or wear it untucked with jeans for a casual look. When choosing a tie to wear with a classic collar shirt, opt for a medium to narrow-width tie.
The spread shirt collar is a great option for those with a round face. This collar style elongates the face and creates a slimming effect.
When choosing a tie with a spread collar shirt, opt for a wide tie knot like a Windsor knot to balance the collar. You can wear it with or without a tie.
The club collar shirt is a classic style that adds a unique touch to any outfit. This collar style is perfect for those who want to add a vintage flair to their wardrobe.
Pair it with a tweed blazer for a classic look, or wear it with a leather jacket.
The tab collar shirt is a unique style that adds a subtle touch of sophistication to any outfit. This collar style features a small tab that lifts the tie knot, creating a neat and polished look.
When choosing a tie with a tab collar shirt, choose a four-in-hand knot to showcase the unique collar.
The button-down collar shirt is a versatile style worn up or down. This collar style features buttons that fasten the collar points to the shirt, creating a neat and polished look.
Pair it with chinos for a casual look, or wear it with a suit for a formal occasion.
Hidden Button Collar
The hidden button shirt collars are a modern twist on the classic button-down collar shirt. This collar style features hidden buttons that fasten the collar points to the shirt, creating a clean, streamlined look.
Pair it with a slim-fit suit for a modern and sophisticated look.
The band shirt collars are a unique style that adds an edge to any outfit. Band collar style features a band that replaces the traditional collar, creating a modern and sleek look.
Pair it with dark wash jeans for a casual look, or wear it with a blazer for a formal occasion. It can be worn with or without a tie.
Cutaway Spread Collar
The cutaway collar is a modern take on the traditional spread collar. This collar style features a wider angle between the collar points, creating a bold and fashionable look.
When choosing a cutaway spread collar tie, opt for a larger tie knot, such as a full Windsor knot, to complement the collar.
Park Avenue Collar
The Park Avenue collar is a unique collar style that adds a touch of elegance to any outfit. This collar style features longer collar points and a narrow spread, creating a refined and polished look.
Pair it with a black tie for a formal occasion, or wear it with a blazer for a modern twist.
Of many collar types, the tuxedo collar is a formal style perfect for black-tie events. This collared shirt features a winged collar that stands up and a strip of fabric that covers the button placket, creating a clean and polished look.
Pair it with a tuxedo jacket and bow tie for a classic and timeless look. Choose a dress shirt that fits well to avoid bunching or pulling when paired with a tuxedo jacket.
In conclusion, the dress shirt collar style has a fascinating history and cultural significance. From the detachable collars of the 1800s to the popular spread collar of today, the shirt collar has undergone significant changes over the years.
It has served as a status symbol, been influenced by military uniforms, and played a role in popular culture. Today, the spread collar is a popular style for dress shirts, offering a versatile and modern look. From point collar to cutaway collar, choose what you like!
As fashion trends evolve, it will be interesting to see how the dress shirt collar continues to adapt and reflect the times. Choose your favourite collar types and rock the occasion!
What are the types of collars on men’s shirts?
The types of collars on men’s shirts include classic collar, point collar, spread collar, club collar, tab collar, button-down collar, hidden button collar, band collar, cutaway spread collar, English spread collar, Park Avenue collar, edge stitch straight collar, and tuxedo/wing collar.
Which collar is used in the casual shirt?
The collar used in a casual shirt can vary. Still, a button-down or spread collar with a soft construction is often used for a more relaxed and comfortable look.
What is the most popular collar?
The most popular collar is the spread collar, which offers a modern and versatile look worn with various outfits.
What collar is most comfortable?
The most comfortable collar can vary from person to person. Still, a soft and unstructured collar, like a button-down collar or a spread collar without stiffeners, can offer a more comfortable fit for some individuals.
Peoples Also Read
- 11 DIFFERENT TYPES OF SHIRTS FOR MEN
- 9 DIFFERENT MENS JACKET STYLES OUTFIT IDEAS
- TOP 5 WAYS TO WEAR POLO T-SHIRT WITH STYLE
- WHAT TO WEAR ON A DATE